Marked for greatness

Putnam Stadium has been official designated with a historical marker just outside the front entrance to the stadium. It reads … “This stadium served the Ashland Public Schools. Built in 1937 for $6,500 as a WPA project, it was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day that same year. The Ashland High School Tomcats’ record of success includes 11 state championship. In 1944, the Tomcats played under the lights at Putnam Stadium for the first time.”